One Graham's View

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Boo to you

Happy Halloween!

Its that time again, the evening when spooks and goblins roam the streets to find friendly houses that will give out treats.

I’ve always love this day as far back as I can remember. Maybe it was the candy. Maybe it was the wearing of a costume. Maybe it was just the scary feeling about the whole thing.

As I look back, I think it was the costume that was the best part of it. Think about that. You get to be whoever you want to be, even if it is unrealistic, creepy, or just goofy. The day is all about escapism. In some ways, this would be an ideal day to have year-round. We’d never have to be ourselves and deal with our day-to-day lives.

I never liked the formed, plastic masks that came with so many of the costumes. These were always held on by an elastic band that would sometimes break, forcing you to find some way to fix it. These masks also had the tiniest hole cut out for breathing and always caused condensation to build up inside.

My favorite costume was a furry gorilla mask that I kept for several years. The face was molded of rubber and the rest of the head was covered with shaggy, brown fur. I liked it because it was pretty realistic and didn’t fall off my head. I got the mask when I was a teenager, but don’t recall where it came from. I never had any of the rest of a gorilla outfit, but seem to recall that I tried to do something like wear padding under my clothes. Just a goofy kid thing to do, trying to have fun and not be recognized.
In my 20s and 30s, I loved Halloween night for the parties that were taking place. I think it had an element of the childhood fun of costumes, too. I recall getting excited going to a Halloween store and stating that Halloween was like an adult version of Christmas as far as the fun they get out of it.

Today, I’m not doing anything big for Halloween. I’m a parent of a 4 year old and its about the kids, not us.

Austin has worked through the various costumes and finally decided that he wants to be Robin from the Teen Titans. Honestly, I had never heard of the Teen Titans until earlier this year when Austin’s youngest cousin introduced him to the characters. His cousin is almost 8 years old and is Austin’s favorite playmate. Austin just adores him. When his cousin wanted to be Robin, Austin wanted to be the same thing. On Friday evening, the pair of Robins got to test run their dynamic duo presentation and all went well. Hopefully, tonight will go just as well.

I hope you have fun doing whatever it is you have planned for the eveneing.

Happy haunting!

OGV

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home